Sunday, February 05, 2006

Microsoft Word Clears the Clipboard - Solution

I had been using Microsoft Word for years, when suddenly I had a strange problem where if I copied text to the clipboard, then opened Word, and then attempted to paste that nothing would happen OMG!. I have searched on the Web serveral times, but have not found a solution until now. Turns out I needed to disable a COM addin.


Thanks to Dopyiii (http://howtotroubleshoot.blogspot.com/#113035503245630446) for getting me on the right track.


His instructions for viewing COM addins:



  1. Open Word and go to Tools > Customize > Commands tab
  2. In the Categories section on the left, choose Tools
  3. In the Commands column on the right, you'll see "COM Addins"
  4. Grab this COM Addins button and drag it up and drop it off on your toolbar somewhere.

    • It doesn't matter where - you'll delete it in a minute anyway.

    • The quick way to delete this button (or to customize the toolbar) is to hold down Alt and click and drag the button into the document. When you let go, it'll disappear!


  5. Close the Customize dialog
  6. Now, click the new COM Addins button on your toolbar.

    • Like the Templates and Addins dialog, you can enable or disable whatever you see here

    • Remove the button if you like, or keep it there for nostalgic purposes.



I found that when I disabled Natural Voice Reader, I was able to paste after opening. Most people won't have NVR installed, of course, but this might also get you on the right track if it is a COM addin that is causing the problem. Let me know if this helps you!

No comments: